Have you made your New Year Resolutions?
Make this the year you embrace the spirit of renewal by making it a point to Go Green. Across Europe there is a continual awareness of the limited resources our earth has to provide and the consistent effort to reduce, reuse and recycle. In my travels abroad, I have noticed a tugging guilt about how lax us Americans can be when it comes to minimizing our carbon footprint.
While not all of us contribute to the excess and waste, I feel we need to do our part in educating our peers on the ease and necessity of the 3R (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle). My aspiration for the new year is that those of us who have been living by and preaching Green initiatives will have success in it permeating throughout the United States.
While the United State’s recycling efforts have improved over that last five decades, we are well behind our European counterparts. With countries like Sweden who’s 99% recycling rate, or Switzerland’s 52% rate, nearly double that of the US, it is clear to see that there is plenty of room for improvement.
Some people assume that in order to go green you have spend a lot of time and money in order to make a change. It doesn’t have to. Sometimes it is the simplest things that make all the difference. Want to know a few ways to begin your green lifestyle? Check out our easy and cost effective tips to get started on recycling solutions in Delaware.
10 Great Ways to Go Green:
- Use fluorescent light bulbs. Replacing regular light bulb with Fluorescent bulbs use 75% less energy and last 10 times longer!
- Shut down your computer. Even in sleep mode, a computer is wasting energy. Turning a computer off at night can save 40 watts each day.
- Stock your freezer full. It takes a lot more energy to keep an empty space cool than it does to keep a crowded space cool.
- Skip the sink. Avoid rinsing your dishes before loading them and ensure the dishwasher is full before running.
- Wash laundry in cold water. 90% of energy consumed by a washing machine is used by heating the water. Wash your laundry in cold water to save energy.
- Use cruise control. When driving to work use cruise control to get 15% better mileage and help the environment .
- Go Paperless. Pay bills online to eliminate deforestation.
- Lighten your load. Extra added weight in a trunk of a vehicle takes more gas.
- Recycle cell phones. Don’t let those old cell phones end up in landfills, releasing toxic chemicals into the environment.
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Make every effort possible to have zero waste by rethinking everything that you throw away. If there is a way to use less, reuse or recycle, than just DO IT!
If you need more help on “Going Green” contact the commercial recycling solutions experts of Delaware at Waste Masters Solutions. Share on our Facebook page some of the ways your family has planned to Go Green in 2016. Waste Masters Solutions is a commercial waste solution and recycling company serving all of Delaware and making it its mission to make our community aware of the importance of reducing, recycling, reusing as much as possible.