Most Americans realize that our environment needs protecting, now more than ever. Earth Day is a perfect opportunity to raise environmental awareness and support initiatives for reducing, reusing and recycling the world’s limited assets. Cities around the world have extended Earth Day celebrations to last a week or more to increase community awareness of green initiatives.
Businesses that make an effort towards environmental stewardship often enjoy a positive brand image. Companies such a Patagonia whose mission statement is ‘We’re in business to save our home planet’ have used their platform to raise advocacy for environmental issues.
Earth Day Network works year round to solve climate change, to end plastic pollution, to protect endangered species, and to broaden, educate, and activate the environmental movement across the globe.
Earth Day will be celebrated on Monday, April 22, 2019 by millions of people around the world. This will mark the 49th year for this celebration and this year’s theme is ‘Save Species’. Since the conception of Earth Day in 1970, there’s been a loss of over 40% of the world’s wild animal population. Climate change threatens 75% of the world’s coral reefs, while the bee and other pollinating insects continue to be decimated by use of insecticides.
Those of us at Waste Masters Solutions thought it might be helpful to share a few ideas with our commercial customers on how to celebrate Earth Day and protect our environment for future generations to come.
10 Ways Your Business Can Celebrate Earth Day:
1) Teleconference instead of traveling. If you fly five times per year, those trips are likely to account for 75% of your personal carbon footprint
2) Reduce and recycle paper in the office, plus purchase 100% post-consumer recycled paper
3) Encourage employees to pack their lunch in a reusable bag
4) Conserve water outdoors by only watering landscaping in the early morning or late at night. Use drought-resistant plants in dry areas.
5) Form a “green team” at your office to find cost-effective ways to conserve resources and promote sustainability.
6) Advise employees to turn off and unplug electronics and lights when not in use. This includes turning off your computer before leaving for the night.
7) Coordinate and/or encourage employees to carpool to work
8) Create a ‘Ride Your Bike’ to work club that encourages employees to reduce carbon emissions
9) Make incentive programs that educate employees about using public transportation or driving an electric or hybrid car.
Your carbon footprint is reduced by one pound for every mile you do not drive.
10) Replace inefficient incandescent light bulbs with efficient CFLs or LEDs – Reduce your carbon footprint by 450 pounds a year
SOME HELPFUL LINKS:
At WasteMasters Solutions, a commercial waste management company, we believe environmental stewardship is in everyone’s best interest. Want to find out more? Contact the commercial recycling solutions experts of Delaware and share on our Facebook page some of the ways your business meets or excel at commercial sustainability and minimizing waste. Waste Masters Solutions is a commercial waste solution and recycling company serving Delaware, making it our mission to increase community awareness of the importance of reducing, recycling, reusing as much as possible.