Waste Masters Solutions is a commercial waste management company. While we deal mostly with businesses, we strive to be a leader in environmental stewardship with in our community.
The holidays are a magical time. However, for some they are a time of excess and waste. That is why each December we share some tips on how to go green for the holidays.
This year we compiled a list of 26 ideas that can help your family and friends reflect on the true meaning of this time of year. A time to share valuable lessons on reducing, reusing, and recycling. We hope that you will join us in making a difference.
26 Ways to Go Green for the Holidays:
- Buy Local: Support your local community and reduce your carbon footprint by buying local.
- Buy Less: Do you really need to buy that much? Consider reducing the amount of gifts and spend more time with family.
- Reduce Travel: Plan out shopping trips strategically to reduce your energy consumption and stay local when possible.
- Give Recycled Gifts: One man’s junk is another man’s treasure. Shop resale and thrift shops for unique and lovingly used items.
- Re-Gift: This is always acceptable! Especially when you know someone that will appreciate something that has been lying around unused.
- Give Battery-Free Gifts: Buy gifts that do not need batteries in order to reduce the toxins that batteries cause our environment.
- Give to a Charity: Donate to the recipient’s favorite cause. It will make you both feel good!
- Make Eco-Donations: Donate to local conservation groups or eco-friendly organizations.
- Give Gift Certificates: Lessen the chances of getting something that is not to the taste of the recipient by giving a gift card to their favorite store.
- Send E-Cards: Reduce the carbon footprint that paper card cause by delivering an e-card right into loved one’s email box.
- Reuse Wrapping & Trimmings: Reuse save bows, ribbons and wrapping paper saved from the year before. Another great way to reduce waste is to buy reusable decorative boxes that to use for years to come!
- Use Eco-Friendly Gift Wrap: If you have to use new wrapping, buy gift wrap made from recycled materials, make your own from newspaper, paper bags, cloth etc …
- Use LED Lights in Displays: Us energy saving LED lights on the tree and in displays. They last longer and use less electricity.
- Reduce Holiday Lighting: Keep lighting to a minimal. No need to outdo the Jones.
- Turn Lights Off at Bedtime: Holiday lights left on are a waste of electricity and annoying to neighbors. Shut them off at bedtime.
- Give Homemade Gifts: Homemade gifts are more personal and treasured. It tells the recipient you care enough to give a homemade gift.
- Give Book of Beloved Recipes: My favorite type of gift is great recipes that will last a lifetime!
- Give Gift of Time: Instead of giving a store bought gift, take your family member or friend out on a special outing, have a game night, or help them with a home improvement project. The gift of time is a rare thing.
- Stuff Stockings with Sentiments: Stuff family member’s stockings with pictures, memories or your favorite thing about them.
- Give Homemade Body Care Items: Make a sugar scrub, bath bomb or scented soap for friends and family.
- Thermostat Downtime: Schedule the thermostat to lower when family members are warm and toasty in bed.
- Give Digitally: Send e-certificates, e-tickets and e-cards to reduce the need for transporting gifts, lessening the carbon footprint.
- Cancel the Catalogs: Cancel your catalogs and shop online. Most end up unopened in the recycling bin.
- Cut Down Local Tree: Start a family tradition of cutting down your own tree from a local Christmas tree farm, lessening the carbon footprint from trucking in trees from across the country.
- Buy a Live Tree: Buy a live tree to be later planted or donated after the holidays are over.
- Decorate a Tree for Birds: Instead of using plastic balls and other store bought decorations for outdoor trees, decorate a tree with suet bells, pinecones dipped in peanut butter, birdseed, etc …
At Waste Masters Solutions, we believe environmental stewardship is in everyone’s best interest. Call us at 302-824-0909
At WasteMasters Solutions, a commercial waste management company, we believe environmental stewardship is in everyone’s best interest. Want to find out more? Contact the commercial recycling solutions experts of Delaware and share on our Facebook page some of the ways your business meets or excel at commercial sustainability and minimizing waste. Waste Masters Solutions is a commercial waste solution and recycling company serving Delaware, making it our mission to increase community awareness of the importance of reducing, recycling, reusing as much as possible.