10 Ways to Make Your Labor Day Celebration Earth Friendly
This is the time of year where families start to get back into their school day routine. Gone are the days of lounging in pjs, heading to the shore or mountains. It’s time to get serious and get back on schedule. Why not take advantage of the return to regimen to implement some new eco-friendly routines in your household?
Labor Day weekend is the unofficial wind-down of the summer season. Many cookouts and last beach visits will be taking place this weekend. Before the hectic time sets in, make it a resolution to up your recycling efforts this school year and start by throwing a ‘Green’ Labor Day party!
There really is very little extra effort to making a party green. Spend a little time figuring out how you can reduce the carbon footprint of your Labor Day gathering and set a good example for guests and family. Make your Labor Day celebration as green as possible!
Here Are 10 Great Ways to Throw a Green Labor Day Party:
- Invitations: Rather than wasting paper, send email invitations or evites.
- Buy Keg Beer: Instead of buying individually bottles or cans of beer, get a few ½ or ¼ kegs of beer. This will lessen the amount of waste and be sure to recycle the plastic cups or better yet … use glasses!
- Ice Water Dispenser: Eliminate the need to recycle individual water bottles and lower your environmental impact by supplying guests with an ice cold water dispenser.
- 2 liter Soda Bottles: Instead of using canned sodas, lighten the amount of recycling by using 2 liter sodas and recyclable plastic glasses.
- Local and In-Season: A great way to lessen your carbon footprint is to buy local produce and meats. Be sure to plan your menu around seasonal foods. Buying locally really does make a global impact.
- Washable Dishware or Recycled Products: If you can, use glassware and real plates and silverware. Otherwise be sure to buy eco-friendly tableware, such as those available from susty party or Party City.
- Recycle Station: Have a convenient area where guests can recycle and be sure to make them aware of your recycling wishes. Use brightly colored bins with clear signs to encourage as much recycling as possible.
- Solar Lighting: Using solar lights, beeswax or soy candles will give your party ambiance and lighten the effect on the environment.
- Natural Centerpieces: Decorating the tables with bowls of in-season fruits and vegetables, potted herbs or flowers is another great way to lessen your party’s impact on the planet.
- Choose Aluminum and Glass over Plastic: If you do choose to supply guests with individual packaged beverages, opt for aluminum cans or glass bottles. They can be recycled endlessly as the process never degrades the quality of the material. Plastics have a limited number of reuses, as they are tougher to recycle and the process breaks down the chemical structure each time it is recycled, weakening the material. Not to mention the negative affect on our wildlife!
As you can see, a little forethought and planning will have you throwing a creative green party — showing others how simple and guilt-free entertaining make ‘green-sense’.
One final word, the more green you go when entertaining the more your circle of friends and family will follow your example. Who knows how fair it will spiral through your community and make an even BIGGER impact on the planet.
So what are you waiting for? Be a Green Entertaining Role Model.
Please share with us on Facebook some of the ways you make your entertaining more eco-friendly.